A comparison of innovation strategies of regional development agencies in Turkey
Автор: Ozen Berna Sezen, Baycan Tzin
Журнал: Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast @volnc-esc-en
Рубрика: Global experience
Статья в выпуске: 3 т.15, 2022 года.
This paper aims to assess the regional innovation system of Turkey by comparing regional innovation strategies developed by regional development agencies. Focusing on the specific regional innovation strategy documents and addressing first, reports, researches and publications on the official websites of the agencies, and next, the in-depth interviews conducted with the representatives of regional development agencies by phone and/or e-mail, the paper examines and comparatively evaluates the efforts of the regional development agencies contributing to the regional innovation system. Comparative evaluation reveals that some regional development agencies have created a specific regional innovation strategy whereas the others have not yet developed such strategies, but conduct various studies on different innovation dimensions, although these studies are exclusive and far from a holistic approach. The comparative evaluation also reveals that regional innovation strategies differ in terms of regional priorities. Nevertheless, similar strategies developed by regional development agencies address the following issues: developing the research and innovation culture; research and innovation infrastructure; institutional structure; human resources; financial resources; effective communication, cooperation and coordination; entrepreneurship and innovation ecosystem; awareness of innovation activities; clusters; priority sectors; social innovation; intellectual property rights and commercialization. Although there are some efforts to improve the regional innovation systems by regional development agencies, the comparative evaluation demonstrates that they have not yet reached the desired level of producing a holistic regional innovation strategy and they should be more effective as a key actor in the regional innovation systems.
Regional innovation system, regional development agencies, regional innovation strategies, turkey
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/147238051
IDR: 147238051 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2022.3.81.13
Список литературы A comparison of innovation strategies of regional development agencies in Turkey
- Asheim B., Bugge M., Coenen L., Herstad S. (2013). What does evolutionary economic geography bring to the table? Reconceptualising regional innovation systems. CIRCLE Papers, 5.
- Cook P., Memedovic O. (2003). Strategies for Regional Innovation Systems: Learning Transfer and Applications. Vienna: UNIDO.
- Cooke P., Boekholt P., Tödtling F. (2000). The Governance of Innovation in Europe. London: Pinter.
- Edquist C. (2005). Systems of innovation – perspectives and challenges. In: Fagerberg J., Mowery D.C., Nelson, R.R. (Eds.). The Oxford Handbook of Innovation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Edquist C. (2008). Identification of policy problems in systems of innovation through diagnostic analysis. In: The 6th Globelics International Conference. Mexico, Mexico City, dated September 24–26, 2008. Available at: https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/handle/1853/36896/Charles_%20Edquist_Identification%20_of_%20Policy_Problems.pdf?sequence=1
- Edquist C., Johnson B. J. (2000). Institutions and organisations in systems of innovation. Chapter 8. In: Edquist C., McKelvey M. (Eds.). Systems of Innovation: Growth, Competitiveness and Employment. UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN: 1858985730
- Feinson S. (2003). National innovation systems overview and country cases. In: Knowledge Flows and Knowledge Collectives: Understanding the Role of Science and Technology Policies in Development. Volume 1: Knowledge Flows, Innovation, and Learning in Developing Countries. Center for Science, Policy and Outcomes, Columbia University. Pp. 13–38.
- Lewandowska A. (2012). Regional innovation strategy as a management instrument of innovation policy in the region. Poland. Regional management. Theory, Practice and Development, Scientific Papers, 129–133. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273949395_Regional_Innovation_Strategy_as_a_management_instrument_of_innovation_policy_in_the_region_Poland
- McCall T. (2010). Regional Innovation Systems. Institute for Regional Development, University of Tasmania. Available at: http://www.utas.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/61936/McCall.-T.-2010,-Regional-Innovationsystems.pdf
- Metin H. (2010). Social and Institutional Impacts of Mersin Regional Innovation Strategy: Stakeholders’ Perspective. A Thesis Submitted to the Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences of Middle East Technical University, in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Master of Science in City and Regional Planning, April 2010. Available at: https://etd.lib.metu.edu.tr/upload/12611821/index.pdf
- Özen, B.S., Baycan T. (2014). Turkey’s national innovation system performance: Recent progress and ongoing challenges. In: 54th Congress of European Regional Science Association (ERSA) Regional Development & Globalization: Best Practices, August 26–29, 2014. Russia: Saint Petersburg.
- Özen B.S,. ve Baycan T. (2015). An Assessment of Turkish regional innovation system over regional innovation strategies developed by regional development agencies. In: 55th Congress of European Regional Science Association (ERSA) World Renaissance: Changing Roles for People and Places, August 25–29, 2015. Portugal: Lisbon.
- Özen B.S., Baycan T., Filiztekin A. (2018). Türkiye’de Bölgesel İnovasyon Performanslarının 2000 Yılından Günümüze Değişimi. In: M. Karagül, L.G. Kaya, O. Sungur (Eds.). Bölgesel Kalkınma ve Bölge Bilimi Üzerine Yazılar. Nobel Akademik Yayıncılık (in Turkish).
- Pellegrin I., Balestro M.V., Valle J.A. et al. (2010). Dynamizing innovation systems through induced innovation networks: A conceptual framework and the case of the oil industry in Brazil. Journal of Technology Management and Innovation, 5(3), 15–35. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/s0718- 27242010000300002
- Schrempf B., Kaplan D., Schroeder D. (2013). National, regional, and sectoral systems of innovation — an overview. Report for FP7 Project “Progress”. Available at: progressproject.eu
- Zabala-Iturriagagoitia J.M., Jiménez-Sáez F., Castro-Martínez E. (2008). Evaluating European Regional Innovation Strategies. European Planning Studies, 16(8), 1145–1160. DOI: 10.1080/09654310802315849