Development of the Philippine tourism economy in the post-COVID period
Автор: Kuznetsova Julia A.
Статья в выпуске: 2 (104), 2023 года.
The object of research is the tourism industry of the Philippine economy. The subject of the study is the degree of impact of the global pandemic caused by the COVID-19 coronavirus infection on the tourism industry of the Philippine economy. The epidemic has had a negative impact on the global tourism industry and jeopardized the recovery of destinations in developing countries, which have faced great challenges due to the increasingly serious waves of the pandemic. The study aims to examine the impact of the pandemic on the tourism industry in the context of developing countries, as well as the multifaceted challenges and opportunities for the Philippine tourism industry during the COVID-19 pandemic. As an example, it is advisable to choose the Philippines, a country that before the pandemic was one of the fastest growing economies in the world, has moved into the category of countries heavily affected in the current epidemiological conditions. The article discusses the state measures taken to restore the tourism industry of the country's economy, and also analyzes the existing domestic tourism market to present effective strategies for the development of this industry in the Philippines in the postCOVID period, taking into account regional specifics. The results of the analysis made it possible to assume that crisis situations not only have negative consequences, but also provide an opportunity for the formation of new directions for the development of the tourism sector. In this article, we explore how the tourism industry may develop in the Philippines in the post-COVID period. In the course of the study, the author came to the conclusion that in the short term, domestic agricultural, medical and religious tourism will play a vital role in supporting the initial phase of the recovery of this sector of the economy.
Tourism industry, domestic tourism, philippines, covid-19, post-covid period
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/140299784
IDR: 140299784 | DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.8111152
Список литературы Development of the Philippine tourism economy in the post-COVID period
- Andulana, D. D., Calijan, M. T., & Albina, A. C. (2021). Challenges and Opportunities in Philippine Tourism amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. Recoletos Multidisciplinary Research Journal, 9(2), 1-21. doi: 10.32871Amrj.2109.02.08.
- Belova, T. M. (2020). Perspektivy razvitiya vnutrennego turizma na territorii RF v postkovidnyy period [Prospects for the development of domestic tourism on the territory of the Russian Federation in the post-COVID period]. Problemy i puti sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya: gorod, region, strana, mir [Problems and ways of socio-economic development: city, region, country, world]: Collection of articles of the XI All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference with international participation], 12-15. (In Russ.).
- Disimulacion, M. (2021). Philippine MICE Tourism Post-Covid 19: An Overview of Challenges and Opportunities. Asia Pacific International Events Management Journal, 2(1), 35-45.
- Dzhandzhugazova E. A. (2021). Covremennyy turistskiy rynok v period peremen [The modern tourist market in a period of change]. Rossiyskiye regiony: vzglyad v budushcheye [Russian regions: a look into the future], 8(1), 1-15. (In Russ.).
- Grajo, B., Navarette, P., & Tilo, D. (2018). Philippines as a medical tourism haven. Manila Standard. URL: https://www.manilastandard.net/spotlight/269125/philippines-as-a-medicaltourism-ha-ven.html (Accessed on March 2, 2023).
- Leonen, J. T. (2018). Only 41% of Catholics go to church weekly. SWS. URL: newsinfo.inquirer.net/ 978873/only-41-of-catholics-go-to-church-weekly-sws (Accessed on February 12, 2023).
- Kushcheva, N. B. (2021). Industriya gostepriimstva v postkovidnyy period: novaya real'nost', no-vyye pravila [Hospitality industry in the post-COVID period: new reality, new rules]. TTPS, 2(56). (In Russ.).
- Nicola, M., Alsafi, Z., Sohrabi, C., Kerwan, A., Al-Jabir, A., Iosifidis, C., Agha, M., & Agha, R. (2020). The socio-economic implications of the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19): A review. International Journal of Surgery, 78, 185-193. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2020.04.018.
- Picazo, O. F. (2013). Medical tourism in the Philippines: Market profile, benchmarking exercise, and SWOT analysis (PIDS Discussion Paper Series, No. 2013-45). URL: http://hdl.han-dle.net/10419/126939 (Accessed on February 17, 2023).
- Taculao, P. (2021). How to start a farm and agritourism site. Manila Bulletin. https://bit.ly/3ocwKHt (Accessed on February 25, 2023).
- Zenker, S., & Kock, F. (2020). The coronavirus pandemic: A critical discussion of a tourism research agenda. Tourism Management, 81, 104164.. doi: 10.1016/j.tourman.2020.104164.