Production and circulation in a simple exchange economy
Автор: Nekipelov Aleksandr D.
Журнал: Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast @volnc-esc-en
Рубрика: Theoretical and methodological issues
Статья в выпуске: 3 т.15, 2022 года.
The article is methodological: it does not seek to analyze new economic phenomena; rather, its major aim is to study how these phenomena were formed and developed and how the market system was formed and developed with them. The actual subject of the study is a simple exchange economy model at the stage when production begins to be considered as its endogenous factor. This makes it possible to smoothly introduce the social division of labor into the analysis, to consider in the simplest form its combination with the differentiation of production functions in the framework of an individual household. We pay considerable attention to the analysis of socio-economic implications of the deepening of the social division of labor manifested in the transformation of the production of objects and means of labor into its independent links. We show why at this very stage of the study it becomes possible to provide a well-grounded substantiation for the mechanisms that form the market exchange value of consumer durables and means of labor, and, as a consequence, the interest rate. The introduction of the resource limitation factor into the analysis makes it possible to substantiate the need for the institution of ownership of such resources, the importance of absolute and differential natural rent for the normal functioning of the market economy, and to identify the specifics of formation of the market exchange value of land. We emphasize the importance of making the spatial dimension of the economy a full-fledged subject of analysis for pure economic theory. We touch upon a possible approach to the formulation of an initial model that would take into account the influence of space on the general parameters of economic activity. The main conclusion is that the model of a simple exchange economy helps to form a holistic view of all key categories (albeit in embryonic forms) reflecting the action of the market mechanism. At the same time, it becomes clear why further institutional transformations are required to realize all the potentials available in this form of economic activity organization.
Simple exchange economy, social division of labor, comparative advantages, spatial dimension of general equilibrium, natural rent, interest rate, objective function of individual producer
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/147238054
IDR: 147238054 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2022.3.81.3
Список литературы Production and circulation in a simple exchange economy
- Blaug M. (1994). Ekonomicheskaya mysl' v retrospective [Economic Theory in Retrospect]. Moscow: Delo LTD.
- Coase R. (1937). The nature of the firm. Economica, 4(16), 386–405
- Isard W. (1956). Location and Space-Economy. A General Theory Relating to Industrial Location, Market Areas, Land Use, Trade and Urban Structure. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The M.I.T. Press.
- Katzner D.W. (2006). An Introduction to the Economic Theory of Market Behavior. Microeconomics from a Walrasian Perspective. Chaltenham, UK. Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar.
- Marshall A. (1993). Printsipy ekonomicheskoi nauki. T. II. [Principles of Economics. Volume II]. Moscow: Progress, Univers.
- Marx K. (1961). Das Kapital. In: Marx K., Engels F. Soch. 2-e izd. [Collected Works. Second edition]. Volume 23. Moscow: Gosudarstvennoe izdatel'stvo politicheskoi literatury.
- Nekipelov A. (2019a). The crisis in economics – nature and ways to overcome it. Vestnik Rossiiskoi akademii nauk, 89(1), 24–37 (in Russian).
- Nekipelov A. (2019b). Robinson Crusoe model as the starting point for pure economic theory. Ekonomika i matematicheskie metody=Economics and Mathematical Methods, 55(3), 5–20 (in Russian).
- Nekipelov A. (2021a). On the theory of credit and interest rate. Ekonomika i matematicheskie metody=Economics and Mathematical Methods, 57(2), 5–20 (in Russian).
- Nekipelov A. (2021b). From a Robinson Crusoe economy to a pure exchange economy. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial'nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 14(6), 33–48 (in Russian).
- Ricardo D. (1817). On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation. London: John Murray.
- Thünen von J.H. (1895). Der isolierte Staat in Beziehung auf Landwirtschaft und Nationalökonomie. Berlin: Hempel and Parey.
- Torrens R. (1808). The Economists Refuted and Other Early Economic Writings (1984 ed.). New York: Kelley.
- Walras L. (1874). Éléments d'économie politique pure ou théorie de la richesse sociale. L. Corbaz & cie.