Sales markets for the goods of the regions of the northwest of Russia: quantitative assessment
Автор: Sidorov Maksim A.
Журнал: Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast @volnc-esc-en
Рубрика: Regional economy
Статья в выпуске: 3 т.15, 2022 года.
Promoting the spatial factor in the development of the national economy requires the implementation of state policy on the transformation of interregional value chains. This task is specific due to the vast spaces and the high degree of polarization of the country’s economic sphere. The purpose of the study is to conduct a quantitative assessment of the sales markets of regions within the Northwest of Russia, taking into account the industry and territorial specifics of their production. The analysis reveals that, in general, in the Northwest of Russia, national and foreign markets prevail over local and macroregional, and interterritorial interaction remains largely fragmented. However, the presence of specialization industries in the regions, combined with relatively stable external demand, can contribute to the development of interregional value chains. It is noted that in Russia, the tasks of optimal zoning and development of value chains are of crucial importance, and it is reflected in the program documents. It is shown that the macroregion uses the potential of internal cooperation only to a small extent, being to a greater extent an array of multidirectionally oriented market zones with Saint Petersburg as its core and a number of value chains, often export-oriented. It is concluded that the nature of supplies to foreign markets is determined not only by the export specialization of the territory, but also by the diversification of the economic system. The findings of our research can be used to develop strategic documents for spatial development, programs for the development of economic sectors and industrial clusters. In the future, we will continue the work on searching for new growth points and the most promising areas of structural changes for the transition of regions and the country as a whole to sustainable socio-economic development.
Macroregion, northwest of Russia, value chains, interregional trade, economic integration
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/147238057
IDR: 147238057 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2022.3.81.5
Список литературы Sales markets for the goods of the regions of the northwest of Russia: quantitative assessment
- Arita T., Fujita M., Kameyama Y. (2006). Effects of regional cooperation among small and medium‐sized firms on their growth in Japanese industrial clusters. Review of Urban & Regional Development Studies, 18, 209–228. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-940X.2006.00122.x (accessed: February 2021).
- Arndt S.W. (2008). Production networks and the open macroeconomy. The Singapore Economic Review, 53(03), 509–521. DOI: 10.1142/S0217590808003075 (accessed: February 2021).
- Belousova A.V. (2012). The inter-regional cooperation: The impact on the regional economy (Khabarovsk Krai). Prostranstvennaya ekonomika=Spatial Economics, 4, 127–137. DOI: 10.14530/se.2012.4.127-137 (in Russian).
- Beviá C., Corchón L.C. (2009). Cooperative production and efficiency. Mathematical Social Sciences, 57(2), 143–154. DOI: 10.1016/j.mathsocsci.2008.09.006 (accessed: February 2021).
- Chaikovskii N.G. (2008). Interregional trade as a factor of economic development of the region. Vestnik Orenburgskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta=Vestnik of Orenburg State University, 2(81), 47–53 (in Russian).
- De P. (2014). Strengthening regional trade and production networks through transport connectivity in South and South-West Asia. South and South-West Asia Development Papers, 14(1), 35.
- E.V. Lukin, T.S. Anosova, A.E. Mel'nikov, M.A. Sidorov. (2020). Experience in agent-based modeling of interregional value chains. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial'nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 13(6), 101–116. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.6.72.6 (in Russian).
- Eriksson S. (2011). Globalisation and changes of aircraft manufacturing production/supply-chains – the case of China. International Journal of Logistics Economics and Globalisation, 3(1), 70–83.
- Fujita M., Krugman P., Venables A.J. (1999). The spatial economy: cities, regions and international trade. The MIT Press, 367.
- Gereffi G. (1994). The organization of buyer-driven global commodity chains: How US retailers shape overseas production networks. In: Gereffi G., Korzeniewicz M. (Eds.). Commodity Chains and Global Capitalism. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Gereffi G., Fernandez-Stark K. (2011). Global value chain analysis: A primer. Center of Globalization, Governance & Competitiveness. Duke University, 40.
- Gereffi G., Humphrey J., Sturgeon T. (2005). The governance of global value chains. Review of International Political Economy, 12(1), 78–104.
- Gibbon P. (2001). Upgrading primary production: A global commodity chain approach. World Development, 29(2), 345–363.
- Han W., Wang J. (2015). The impact of cooperation mechanism on the chaotic behaviours in nonlinear supply chains. European Journal of Industrial Engineering, 9(5), 595–612. DOI: 10.1504/EJIE.2015.071773 (accessed: February 2021).
- Joudeh S. (2018). Global value chain participation and prospects for local upgrading in the Egyptian-Chinese economic and trade cooperation zone. Economic Research Forum, 1278, 25.
- Kaplinsky R. (2013). Global Value Chains: Where They Came From, Where They Are Going and Why This Is Important. IKD Working Paper No. 68. Milton Keynes, UK: The Open University.
- Kashbraziev R.V. (2014). The impact of international cooperation on the national economy. Finansy: teoriya i praktika=Finance: Theory and Practice, 2, 79–92 (in Russian).
- Kotov A.V. (2021). The territory requires coherent work: The role of interregional interactions in economic recovery (to the 100th anniversary of I.G. Aleksandrov’s work ‘Economic Regionalization of Russia’). Prostranstvennaya ekonomika=Spatial Economics, 17(1), 18–34. DOI: 10.14530/se.2021.1.018-034 (in Russian).
- Krugman P., Obstfield M. (2005). Mezhdunarodnaya ekonomika [International Economics: Theory and Policy]. Saint Petersburg: Piter.
- Krugman P., Venables A. (1995). Globalization and the inequality of nations. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 110, 857–880.
- Krugman P., Wells R. (2006). Economics. Worth Publishers.
- Li J., Ku Y., Yu Y., Liu C., Zhou Y. (2020). Optimizing production of new energy vehicles with across-chain cooperation under China’s dual credit policy. Energy, 194. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2019.116832 (accessed: February 2021).
- Liu Z., Yang D., Wen T. (2019). Agricultural production mode transformation and production efficiency: A labor division and cooperation lens. China Agricultural Economic Review, 11(1), 160–179. DOI: 10.1108/CAER-07-2017-0129 (accessed: February 2021).
- Lösch A. (1959). Geograficheskoe razmeshchenie khozyaistva [The Economics of Location]. Moscow: Inostrannaya literatura.
- Lukin E.V. (2013). Interregional interactions in the system of economic development of regions: Theoretical and practical approaches. Voprosy territorial'nogo razvitiya=Territorial Development Issues, 5(5). Available at: http://vtr.vscc.ac.ru/article/1333 (accessed: January 2022; in Russian).
- Lukin E.V. (2019). Sectoral and territorial specifics of value-added chains in Russia: The input-output approach. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial'nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 12(6), 129–149. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2019.6.66.7 (in Russian).
- Lukin E.V. (2021). The ferrous metallurgy of the North-West of Russia: Trends and development problems. EKO=ECO, 10, 110–131 (in Russian).
- Mau V.A. (2021). Coronavirus pandemic and trends of economic policy. Voprosy ekonomiki, 3, 5–30. DOI: 10.32609/0042-8736-2021-3-5-30 (in Russian).
- Mikheeva N.N. (2018). Long-term forecasts of regional development: Analysis of results and problems of development. Problemy prognozirovaniya=Studies on Russian Economic Development, 5(170), 24–38 (in Russian).
- Minakir P.A. (2015). Spatial interdisciplinary synthesis: Experience of policy studies. Regional Research of Russia, 5(4), 299–309.
- Minakir P.A., Isaev A.G., Dem'yanenko A.N., Prokapalo O.M. (2020). Economic macroregions: An integration phenomenon or a political geographic rationale? Far Eastern Russia case. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika=Spatial Economics, 16(1), 66–99. DOI: 10.14530/se.2020.1.066-099 (in Russian).
- Naumenko E.N. (2006). On interregional commodity exchange and competitiveness of Altai Krai. Polzunovskii vestnik, 4-1, 296–302 (in Russian).
- Okten A., Sengezer B., Camlibel N., Evren Y. (1998). Spatial implications of the organization of production in the automotive industry in Turkey. 38th Congress of the European Regional Science Association: 28 August – 1 September. Vienna. Available at: http://www-sre.wu.ac.at/ersa/ersaconfs/ersa98/papers/430.pdf (accessed: February 2021).
- Ovchinnikova T.I., Bulgakova I.N., Markov A.V. (2016). The role of outsourcing in the mechanism of economic security activities of cluster formations. Vestnik VGUIT=Proceedings of the Voronezh State University of Engineering Technologies, 4, 274–279. DOI: 10.20914/2310-1202-2016-4-274-279 (in Russian).
- Pilipenko V.I. (2005). Konkurentosposobnost' stran i regionov v mirovom khozyaistve. Teoriya, opyt malykh stran Zapadnoi i Severnoi Evropy [Competitiveness of Countries and Regions in the World Economy. Theory, Experience of Small Countries of Western and Northern Europe]. Moscow: Oikumena.
- Pleshchenko V. (2019). Prospects and limits of shared economics principles application at steel industry plants in the context of digitalization. Chernaya metallurgiya. Byulleten' nauchno-tekhnicheskoi i ekonomicheskoi informatsii=Ferrous Metallurgy. Bulletin of Scientific, Technical and Economic Information, 75(6), 741–747 (in Russian).
- Porter M. (2016). Mezhdunarodnaya konkurentsiya. Konkurentnye preimushchestva stran [The Competitive Advantage of Nations]. Moscow: Al'pina.
- Rostanets V.G., Topilin A.V. (2019). Ways of formation of economic mechanisms and organizational structures of managing the development of macroregions. Vestnik Rossiiskogo novogo universiteta. Seriya: chelovek i obshchestvo=Vestnik of Russian New University. Series: Human and Society, 3, 3–14 (in Russian).
- Safronova I.A. (2016). The value chains of high-technology products as factor of formation of the regional comprehensive economic partnership. Vestnik MGIMO-Universiteta=MGIMO Review of International Relations, 51(6), 125–135 (in Russian).
- Savel'ev Yu.V. (2010). Theoretical foundations of modern interregional competition. Zhurnal ekonomicheskoi teorii, 2, 86–98 (in Russian).
- Sayapova A.R. (2018). Quantitative parameters of global value chains in macrostructural forecasting. Problemy prognozirovaniya=Studies on Russian Economic Development, 6, 31–61 (in Russian).
- Shniper R.I., Novoselov A.S. (1993). Regional'nye problemy rynkovedeniya [Regional Problems of Market Studies]. Novosibirsk: Nauka.
- Skopina I.V., Skopin A.O. (2007). Integrated development of regional industrial cooperation and cluster projects. Regional'naya ekonomika i upravlenie=Regional Economics and Management: Electronic Scientific Journal, 1(9). Available at: https://eee-region.ru/article/901 (in Russian).
- Sopilko N.Yu. (2015). The contradictions in the development of international industrial relations. Kontury global'nykh transformatsii: politika, ekonomika, pravo=Outlines of Global Transformations: Politics, Economics, Law, 8(5), 58–67 (in Russian).
- Walker G. (1994). Asset choice and supplier performance in two organizations – US and Japanese. Organization Science, 5(4), 583–593. DOI: 10.1287/orsc.5.4.583 (accessed: February 2021).
- Xu X., He P., Xu H., Zhang Q. (2017). Supply chain coordination with green technology under cap-and-trade regulation. International Journal of Production Economics, 183(B), 433–442. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2016.08.029 (accessed: February 2021).
- Yeung H.W. (2009). Regional development and the competitive dynamics of global production networks: An East Asian perspective. Regional Studies, 43(3), 32–51.
- Zhang W., Wang M. (2015). Green supply chain management: A new market approach for climate governance. Chinese Journal of Urban and Environmental Studies, 03(04). DOI: 10.1142/S2345748115500335 (accessed: February 2021).
- Zhu V. (2020). China’s Dual Circulation Economy. Available at: https:// www.institutmontaigne.org/ressources/pdfs/publications/china-trends-7-EN.pdf (accessed: February 2021).