Assessment of the reaction of cyclical unemployment to the economic decline and recovery growth in Russia
Автор: Blinova Tatyana V., Rusanovskii Viktor A., Markov Vladimir A.
Журнал: Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast @volnc-esc-en
Рубрика: Labor economics
Статья в выпуске: 6 т.13, 2020 года.
The purpose of the research is to conduct the econometric modeling of the interconnection between changes of the output and unemployment levels in Russia by disaggregating the periods of the decline and economic growth. Research methods are based on a modified Okun’s model which reflects the impact of changes in the output volumes on the dynamics of the unemployment level. The sample includes 79 Russian regions and uses annual (2000-2019) and quarterly (2010-2019) data. The results obtained showed that the Okun’s coefficient is negative in each studied specification, which corresponds to the theoretical content of the interaction between macro-economic parameters. Middle-term (2010- 2019) values of the Okun’s coefficient (-0.105) are acquired on the basis of the Generalized Linear Model assessments, which is free from perturbations associated with quarterly parameter fluctuations. The Okun’s coefficient value, calculated according to quarterly data, is around -0.05. We statistically analyzed the “asymmetry effects” on the labor market during the economic decline and recovery growth on the basis of annual data (2000-2019). Assessments of the econometric models showed that the Okun’s coefficient displays stronger reaction of the unemployment to the decline (-0.167) in comparison with the recovery growth (-0.090). The novelty of the research results is related to the construction of the econometric models reflecting the impact of changes in the output models on the dynamics of the unemployment level in Russia in 2000-2019 and disaggregated periods of the economic decline and recovery growth. The following development of this research will be related to the assessment of the impact of the economic recession on the unemployment level in Russian regions. The results may be used for conducting anti-crisis policy in the labor market during the economic recession.
Okun's model, unemployment level, cyclical decline, economic growth
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/147225503
IDR: 147225503 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.6.72.11
Список литературы Assessment of the reaction of cyclical unemployment to the economic decline and recovery growth in Russia
- Okun A.M. Potential GNP: Its measurement and significance. Proceedings of the Business and Economic Statistics Section. American Statistical Association, 1962. Reprinted in Cowles Foundation, Yale University.
- Ball L., Leigh D., Loungani P. Okun’s law: Fit at fifty. NBER Working Paper, 2013, no. w18668.
- Özel H.A., Sezgin F.H., Topkaya Ö. Investigation of economic growth and unemployment relationship for G7 countries using panel regression analysis. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2013, vol. 4 (6), pp. 163–171.
- Cazes S., Verick Sh., Hussami F.A. Why did unemployment respond so differently to the global financial crisis across countries? Insights from Okun’s law. IZA Journal of Labor Policy, 2013, vol. 2 (1), pp. 1–18.
- Kargi B. Okun’s law and long term co-integration analysis for OECD countries (1987–2012). International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 2014, vol. 119, pp. 77–85.
- Kangasharju A., Tavera C., Nijkamp P. Regional growth and unemployment: The validity of Okun’s Law for the Finnish regions. Spatial Economic Analysis, 2012, vol. 7 (3), pp. 381–395.
- Habees M.A., Rumman M.A. The relationship between unemployment and economic growth in Jordan and some Arab countries. World Applied Sciences Journal, 2012, vol. 8 (5), pp. 673–680.
- Tombolo G., Hasegawa M. Okun’s law: Evidence for the Brazilian economy. The Economic Research Guardian, 2014, vol. 4 (1), pp. 2–12.
- Ball L., Furceri D., Leigh D., Loungani P. Does one law fit all? Cross-country evidence on Okun’s law. Open Economies Review, 2019, vol. 30 (5), pp. 841–874.
- Lee J. The robustness of Okun’s law: Evidence from OECD countries. Journal of Macroeconomics, 2000, vol. 22 (2), pp. 331–356.
- Silvapulle P., Imad A.M., Silvapulle M.J. Asymmetry in Okun’s law. Canadian Journal of Economics, 2004, vol. 37 (2), pp. 353–374.
- Owyang M., Sekhposyan T. Okun’s law over the business cycle: Was the great recession all that different? Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, 2012, vol. 94 (5), pp. 399–418.
- Vakulenko E.S. Analysis of the relationship between regional labour markets in Russia using Okun’s model. Prikladnaya ekonometrika=Applied Econometrics, 2015, no. 40 (4), pp. 28–48 (in Russian).
- Evans A. Okun coefficients and participation coefficients by age and gender. IZA Journal of Labor Economics, 2018, vol. 7 (5), pp. 1–22. DOI:10.1186/s40172-018-0065-8
- Akhundova O.V., Korovkin A.G., Korolev I.B. Vzaimosvyaz’ dinamiki VVP i bezrabotitsy: teoreticheskii i prakticheskii aspekt [The relationship between GDP dynamics and unemployment: Theoretical and practical aspects]. Academic works of the Institute of Economic Forecasting, RAS. Ed. by A.G. Korovkin. 2005. Pp. 471–497 (in Russian).
- Vakulenko E.S., Gurvich E.T. The relationship of GDP, unemployment rate and employment: In-depth analysis of Okun’s law for Russia. Voprosy ekonomiki=Voprosy Ekonomiki, 2015, no. 3, pp. 5–27. DOI:10.32609/0042-8736-2015-3-5-27 (in Russian).
- Ibragimov M., Ibragimov R. Unemployment and output dynamics in CIS countries: Okun’s law revisited. Applied Economics, 2017, vol. 49 (34), pp. 3453–3479.
- Ibragimov M., Karimov J., Permyakova E. Unemployment and output dynamics in CIS countries: Okun’s law revisited. EERC Working Paper Series, 2013, no.13/04.
- Dixon R., Lim G.C., van Ours J.C. Revisiting the Okun relationship. Applied Economics, 2017, vol. 49 (28), pp. 2749–2765. DOI: 10.1080/00036846.2016.1245846
- O’Higgins N. This time it’s different? Youth labour markets during ‘The Great Recession’. Comparative Economic Studies, 2012, vol. 54 (2), pp. 395–412. DOI:10.1057/ces.2012.15
- Promakhina I.M., Wang Lulu. Econometric analysis of interdependence between economic growth and unemployment in China (1978-2006). Vestnik RUDN, seriya Ekonomika=RUDN Journal of Economics, 2008, no. 3, pp. 82–94 (in Russian).
- Molodezhnyi rynok truda: otsenka i modelirovanie mezhregional’nykh razlichii [Youth Labor Market: Assessment and Modeling of Interregional Differences]. Moscow: «Universitetskaya kniga», 2016. 178 p.
- Blinova T., Markov V., Rusanovskiy V. Empirical study of spatial differentiation of youth unemployment in Russia. Acta Oeconomica, 2016, vol. 66 (3), pp. 507–526.
- Blinova T.V., Markov V.A., Rusanovskiy V.A. Interregional differences of the youth unemployment in Russia: Models of convergence. Ponte, 2017, vol. 73 (8), pp. 202–216.
- Boulhol H., Sicari P. Labour market performance by age groups: A focus on France. OECD Economics Department Working Papers, 2013, no. 1027.
- Knotek E.S. How useful is Okun’s law? Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, 2007, vol. 92(Q IV), pp. 73–103.
- Harris R., Silverstone B. Testing for asymmetry in Okun’s law: A cross-country comparison. Economics Bulletin, 2001, vol. 5 (2), pp. 1–13.
- Cevik E. I., Dibooglu S., Barisik S. Asymmetry in the unemployment–output relationship over the business cycle: Evidence from transition economies. Comparative Economic Studies. 2013, vol. 55, pp. 557–581.
- Boeri T., Jimeno J. F. Learning from the great divergence in unemployment in Europe during the crisis. Labour Economics, 2016, vol. 41, pp. 32–46. DOI:10.1016/j.labeco.2016.05.022
- Bazueva E.V., Radionova M.V. Econometric assessment of social indicators’ influence on the regional economic growth dynamics (case study of the subjects of the Volga Federal District). Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2020, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 56–70. DOI: 10.15838/ esc.2020.2.68.4 (in Russian).