Investigation of the content of carbonyl compounds and specific nitrosamines of tobacco in cigarette smoke and in the aerosol of the tobacco heating system
Автор: Gnuchih E.V., Shkidyuk M.V., Kalashnikov S.V., Zhabentsova O.A.
Рубрика: Пищевая биотехнология
Статья в выпуске: 2 (88), 2021 года.
Investigation of some toxic compounds concentrations in aerosol of new class of tobacco products - tobacco heating systems and comparing their levels with regular cigarettes aerosol is an important step in understanding whether these products are low-risk, as some manufacturers claim. Three popular in Russia cigarette brands, reference cigarette 3R4F and new heated tobacco products (HTP) were tested for levels of emissions of some harmful and potentially harmful constituents (HPHC). Aerosols of these products were collected under the ISO intense smoking regime and quantified for levels of N'-nitrosonornicotine, 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone, acrolein, acetaldehyde, formaldehyde. Levels of above mentioned HPHCs were measured by the high-performance liquid chromatography / mass spectrometry (HPLC/MS-MS). The results demonstrate that highest levels of measured HPHCs are obtained for reference cigarette 3R4F. As for popular in Russia cigarette brands their levels vary greatly and for some compounds can be very close to levels of 3R4F aerosol. Levels of all measured HPHCs in aerosol of HTP were significantly lower compared to all cigarettes. This can be explained by specific mechanism of HTPs aerosol formation without pyrolytic and pyrosynthetic reactions which are typical to all combustive tobacco products due to their high temperature of the process.
Innovative tobacco product, heated tobacco, electric tobacco heating system, stick, aerosol, toxic components, specific nitrosamines, nitrosonornicotine, acetaldehyde, acrolein
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/140261129
IDR: 140261129 | DOI: 10.20914/2310-1202-2021-2-116-120
Список литературы Investigation of the content of carbonyl compounds and specific nitrosamines of tobacco in cigarette smoke and in the aerosol of the tobacco heating system
- US Department of Health and Human Services et al. Reducing tobacco use: a report of the Surgeon General. 2000.
- Shapiro H. No fire, no smoke: the global state of tobacco harm reduction 2018. London: Knowledge-Action // Change. 2018. Available at: https://gsthr.org/report/full-report
- McNeill A., Brose L.S., Calder R. et al. E-cigarettes: an evidence update. A report commissioned by Public Health England // Public Health England. 2015. V. 111. P. 14-15. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733022
- Simonavicius E., McNeill A., Shahab L. et al. Heat-not-burn tobacco products: a systematic literature review // Tobacco control. 2019. V. 28. №. 5. P. 582-594. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol 2018-054419
- Farsalinos K.E., Le Houezec J. Regulation in the face of uncertainty: the evidence on electronic nicotine de-livery systems (e-cigarettes) // Risk Manag Health Policy. 2015. V. 8. P. 157-167. https://doi.org/10.2147/RMHP.S62116
- Mirgorodskaya A.G., Shkidyuk M.V. et al. Research toxic components: carbonyls compounds and tsna in cigarette smoke and in aerosol nicotine delivery systems. Global studies of tobacco, tobacco products, and innovative nicotine-containing products: status and perspectives: collection of scientific papers International scientific conference (November 17, 2020). Krasnodar: Enlightenment-South, 2020. 78 p. Available at: http://www.vniitti.ru/conf/conf2020/Conf_2020.pdf
- Gnuchih E.V., Shkiduk M.V., Mirgorodskaya A.G., et al. Modern methods for regulation nicotine containing products // Proceedings of VSUET. 2019. V. 81. № 2. P. 196-201. https://doi.org/10.20914/2310-1202-2019-2-196-201 (in Russian).
- Fearon I.M., Eldridge A.C., Gale N. et al. Nicotine pharmacokinetics of electronic cigarettes: A review of the literature // Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2018. V. 100. P. 25-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2018.09.004
- Brossard P., Weitkunat R., Poux V. et al. Nicotine pharmacokinetic profiles of the Tobacco Heating System 2.2, cigarettes and nicotine gum in Japanese smokers // Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017. V. 89. P. 193-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2017.07.032
- Schaller J.P., Keller D., Poget L. et al. Evaluation of the Tobacco Heating System 2.2. Part 2: Chemical com-position, genotoxicity, cytotoxicity, and physical properties of the aerosol // Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016. V. 81. № 2: P. 27-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2016.10.001
- Eaton D., Jakaj B., Forster M. et al. Assessment of tobacco heating product THP1.0. Part 2: Product design, operation and thermophysical characterization // Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2018. V. 93. P. 4-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2017.09.009
- Smith M.R., Clark B., Lüdicke F. et al. Evaluation of the Tobacco Heating System 2.2. Part 1: Description of the system and the scientific assessment program // Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016. V. 81. № 2. P. 17-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2016.07.006
- Rodgman A., Green C.R. Toxic chemicals in cigarette mainstream smoke - hazard and hoopla // Beitr Tabakforschung/Int Contrib Tob Res. 2014. V. 20. № 8. P. 481-545. https://doi.org/10.2478/cttr 2013-0764
- Hoffmann D., Hoffmann I. The changing cigarette, 1950-1995 // Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health. 1997. V. 50. № 4. P. 307-364. https://doi.org/10.1080/009841097160393
- Mallock N., Böss L., Burk R. et al. Levels of selected analytes in the emissions of “heat not burn” tobacco products that are relevant to assess human health risks // Archives of Toxicology. 2018. V. 92. P. 2145-2149. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-018-2215 y
- World Health Organization. WHO study group on tobacco product regulation: report on the scientific basis of tobacco product regulation: fifth report of a WHO study group. World Health Organization, 2015. V. 989.
- Cheng T. Chemical evaluation of electronic cigarettes // Tobacco Control. 2014. V. 23. № 2. P. 11-17. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol 2013-051482
- Gnuchikh E.V., Shkidyuk M.V., Mirgorodskaya A.G. Studies of innovative product - electronic system for nicotine delivery // Proceedings of VSUET. 2018. V. 80. № 3. P. 265-271. https://doi.org/10.20914/2310-1202-2018-3-265-271 (in Russian).
- Results of scientific work «Preparation of proposals and recommendations for the establishment of safety requirements for nicotine-containing products circulated on the territory of the Eurasian Union» Available at: http://www.eurasiancommission.org/ru
- Forster M., Fiebelkorn S., Yurteri C. et al. Assessment of novel tobacco heating product THP1.0. Part 3: Comprehensive chemical characterisation of harmful and potentially harmful aerosol emissions // Regul Toxicol Pharmacol, 2018. V. 93. P. 14-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2017.10.006
- Salman R., Talih S., El-Hage R. et al. Free-Base and Total Nicotine, Reactive Oxygen Species, and Carbonyl Emissions From IQOS, a Heated Tobacco Product // Nicotine Tob Res. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nty235