Influences of storage conditions on beef texture
Автор: Wang Ji., Wang H., Potoroko I., Tsirulnichenko L.
Рубрика: Биохимический и пищевой инжиниринг
Статья в выпуске: 2 т.9, 2021 года.
This study aimed to explore the influences of different storage conditions on beef texture from both micro-perspective and macro-perspective. In this study, the postmortem beef was stored under three storage conditions, i.e. (1) freezing point temperature + vacuum packaging (Cv), (2) 0 ℃ + vacuum packaging (Zv), (3) 4 ℃ + vacuum packaging (Fv). During the storage, sulfhydryl group (-SH) content, myofiber diameter, sarcomere length (SL), myofibril fragmentation index (MFI) and shear force (SF) were determined regularly. The result showed that: under above three conditions, both -SH content and myofiber diameter gradually decreased while MFI increased. With the treatment of Cv, Zv and Fv, myofiber diameter decreased by 46.67 %, 52.27 % and 57.23 % respectively on the 24th day. The SL was minimized at the 1st day with Zv and Fv condition and at the 4th day with Cv condition. The SF of three types of samples behaved in the similar pattern as increasing firstly and then decrease, however, the change of samples with Cv condition was much slower than those with Zv and Fv condition. Therefore, we conclude that Cv condition can effectively delay the rigor mortis and rigor-off processes of beef, and thus, enable the beef maintain good quality for a long time, following by Zv condition and then Fv condition.
Controlled freezing point, sulfhydryl group, myofiber diameter, sarcomere length, mfi, shear force
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/147234348
IDR: 147234348 | DOI: 10.14529/food210207
Список литературы Influences of storage conditions on beef texture
- Mizuno A, Matsui M, Sasaki T, Mochizuki Y, Miyamoto N, Yata Y, Okuyama H, Arai T (1990) Effect of controlled freezing-point storage of hearts-combined effect of controlled freezing-point storage and verapamil. Nihon Kyobu Geka Gakkai 38 (7):1145-1151.
- Zhang Rui-yu, Yin Cui-xi (2006) Research on preservation of fresh pork under ice-temperature. Food Science and Technology 2:113-116 (in Chinese)
- Wei Wen-ping, Hua Lu-yun, Wan Jin-qing, Pang Wen-yan, Song Li-yao, Lei Qiao (2012) Study on ice-temperature preservation of blueberry. Science and Technology of Food Industry 13:346-348 (in Chinese)
- Shen Jiang, Hu Kai-yong, Liu Xing-hua, Wang Rui-long (2012) Quality of spinach during controlled freezing point storage. Food Science and Technology 37(09):35-37 (in Chinese)
- Guo L, Ma Y, Sun D-W, Wang P (2008) Effects of controlled freezing-point storage at 0 °C on quality of green bean as compared with cold and room-temperature storages. Journal of Food Engineering 86 (1):25-29. DOI: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.09.005
- Shen Jiang, Wang Xiaodong, Zhang Yufeng, Wang Suyin, Liu Bin (2008) Experiment on hyo-on storage of Kuala fragrant Pear. Journal of Chemical Industry and Engineering 59(2):99-103 (in Chinese)
- Ling Ping-hua, Xie Jing (2010) Effects of Super-chilling Combined with preservatives on chemical, biochemical and sensory properties of pacific white shrimp. Food Science 31(14):280-284 (in Chinese)
- Chen Qin-yi, Wan Jin-qing,Wang Guo-qiang (2008) Comparison of the duck quality between cold storage and ice-temperature storage. Science and Technology of Food Industry 29(06):271-273 (in Chinese)
- Li Jian-xiong, Xie Jing, Pan Ying-jie (2009) Effect of superchilling on freshness and quality of pork. Science and Technology of Food Industry 30(6):67-70 (in Chinese)
- Xue Wen-tong, Li Li-te, Zhao Feng-min (1997) Research on Storage of Peach in"Ice Temperature "Conditions. Transactions of the CSAE (04):216-220 (in Chinese)
- Joo ST, Kauffman RG, Kim BC, Park GB (1999) The relationship of sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar protein solubility to colour and water-holding capacity in porcine longissimus muscle. Meat science 52 (3):291-297. DOI: 10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00005-4
- Beveridge T, Toma SJ, Nakai S (1974) Determination of SH- and SS- groups in some food proteins using Ellman's reagent. Journal of Food Science 39 (1):49-51. DOI: 10.1111/j. 1365-2621.1974.tb00984.x
- Culler RD, Jr FCP, Smith GC, Cross HR (1978) Relationship of myofibril fragmentation index to certain chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of bovine longissimus muscle. Journal of Food Science 43 (4):1177-1180. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.1978.tb15263.x
- Gornall AG, Bardawill CJ, David MM (1949) Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. The Journal of biological chemistry 177 (2):751-766.
- Stadnik J, Dolatowski ZJ (2011) Influence of sonication on Warner-Bratzler shear force, colour and myoglobin of beef (m. semimembranosus). European Food Research and Technology 233 (4):553-559. DOI: 10.1007/s00217-011-1550-5
- Shi Wen-xing, Shao Shuang-quan, Li Xian-ting, Yan Qi-sen (2002) Applications of controlled freezing-point technique in food storage. Science and Technology of Food Industry (04):64-66 (in Chinese)
- Li Xuepeng (2012) Studies on quality assessment and protein indicators of freshness in Chinese shrimp (Fenneropenaeus chinensis) during refrigerated storage. Doctoral dissertation. College of Food Science and Biotechnology. Hangzhou, China: Zhejiang Gongshang University.
- Dean RT, Fu S, Stocker R, Davies MJ (1997) Biochemistry and pathology of radical-mediated protein oxidation. The Biochemical journal 324 (Pt 1): 1-18. DOI: 10.1042/bj3240001
- Xia X, Kong B, Liu Q, Liu J (2009) Physicochemical change and protein oxidation in porcine longissimus dorsi as influenced by different freeze-thaw cycles. Meat science 83 (2):239-245. DOI: 10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.05.003
- Benjakul S, Visessanguan W, Thongkaew C, Tanaka M (2003) Comparative study on physico-chemical changes of muscle proteins from some tropical fish during frozen storage. Food Research International 36 (8):787-795. DOI: 10.1016/S0963-9969(03)00073-5
- Jiang S-T, Hwang D-C, Chen C-S (1988) Effect of Storage Temperatures on the Formation of Disulfides and Denaturation of Milkfish Actomyosin (Chanos chanos). Journal of Food Science 53 (5): 1333-1335. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.1988.tb09270.x
- Liu Xiaoxiao (2011) Research on the different position on beef quality of Yanbian yellow cattle. MSc Thesis. Agricultural College. Jilin, China:Yanbian University.
- Liu Ze-long (2012) Mechanism of the alterations of water-holding capacity and hydration in meat and meat products induced by protein oxidation. Doctoral dissertation. The school of Food Science and Technology. Wuxi, China: Jiangnan University.
- Koohmaraie M (1992) The role of Ca(2+)-dependent proteases (calpains) in post mortem proteolysis and meat tenderness. Biochimie 74 (3):239-245.
- Verrez-Bagnis V, Ladrat C, Noëlle J, Fleurence J (2002) In vitro proteolysis of myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic proteins of European sea bass (Dicentrarchus Labrax L) by an endogenous m-calpain. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 82 (11): 1256-1262. DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.1172
- Masniyom P, Benjakul S, Visessanguan W (2004) ATPase activity, surface hydrophobicity, sulfhydryl content and protein degradation in refrigerated seabass muscle in modified atmosphere packaging. Journal of food biochemistry 28 (1):43-60. DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-4514.2004.tb00054.x
- Shanks BC, Wulf DM, Maddock RJ (2002) Technical note: the effect of freezing on Warner-Bratzler shear force values of beef longissimus steaks across several postmortem aging periods. Journal of animal science 80 (8):2122-2125. DOI: 10.1093/ansci/80.8.2122
- Aoki T, Ueno R (1997) Involvement of cathepsins B and L in the post-mortem autolysis of mackerel muscle. Food Research International 30 (8):585-591. DOI: /10.1016/S0963-9969(98)00014-3
- Jiang ST, Lee JJ, Chen HC (1996) Proteolysis of actomyosin by cathepsins B, L, L-like, and X from mackerel (Scomber australasicus). Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 44 (3):769-773. DOI: 10.1021/jf950250c
- Aranishi F, Ogata H, Hara K, Osatomi K, Ishihara T (1998) Susceptibility of Opioid Peptides and Myofibrillar Proteins to Carp Cathepsin L. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 46 (2):388-392. DOI: 10.1021/jf9707187
- Ogata H, Aranishi F, Hara K, Osatomi K, Ishihara T (1998) Proteolytic degradation of myofibrillar components by carp cathepsin L. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 76 (4):499-504. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199804)76:4-499::AID-JSFA980-3.0.CO;2-W
- Purintrapiban J, Wang M-c, Forsberg NE (2001) Identification of glycogen phosphorylase and creatine kinase as calpain substrates in skeletal muscle. The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology 33 (5):531-540. DOI: 10.1016/S1357-2725(01)00012-7
- Zhu Gui-ming (2003) The Researeh on Meat Quality of Qinchuan Cattle. MSc Thesis. Graduate School. Yang Ling, China: Northwest Agriculture & Forestry University.
- Wheeler TL, Koohmaraie M (1994) Prerigor and postrigor changes in tenderness of ovine longissimus muscle. Journal of animal science 72 (5): 1232-1238. DOI: 10.2527/1994.7251232x
- Koohmaraie M (1996) Biochemical factors regulating the toughening and tenderization processes of meat. Meat science 43S1:193-201. DOI: 10.1016/0309-1740(96)00065-4
- Deligeersang, Liu Hui-yan, Yan Ru, Li He, Cui Li-juan, Wang Zheng-gang, Lu Shao-yue (2006) Changes of biochemical properties of beef skeletal muscle meat stored at the temperature close to cryoscopic point. Food Science 27 (10):54-58 (in Chinese)
- Luo Xin (2006) Effects of electrical stimulation and delay chilling on beef eating quality. Doctoral dissertation. Graduate School. Nanjing, China: Nanjing Agricultural University.
- Li Ze, Jin Ye, Ma Xia (2010) Variation ofpostmortem lamb quality and its influencing factors in different store temperatures. Transactions of the CSAE 26 (Supp.1):338-342 (in Chinese with English abstract)
- Xu Bo, Zhou Guang-hong, Xu Xing-lian, Li Chun-bao (2008) Changes of ultrastructure in different part of venison during postmortem aging. Journal of Nanjing Agricultural University 31 (1): 107-11 (in Chinese)
- Wu RQ, Zhao ZQ, Shen YW, Jia JZ (2006) Estimation of postmortem interval using myofibril fragmentation index. Fa yi xue za zhi 22 (1):10—11, 14
- Volpelli LA, Failla S, Sepulcri A, Piasentier E (2005) Calpain system in vitro activity and myofibril fragmentation index in fallow deer (Dama dama): effects of age and supplementary feeding. Meat science 69 (3):579-582. DOI: 10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.09.009
- Volpelli LA, Valusso R, Morgante M, Pittia P, Piasentier E (2003) Meat quality in male fallow deer (Dama dama): effects of age and supplementary feeding. Meat science 65 (1):555-562. DOI: 10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00248-6
- Xie Jing, Li Jianxiong, Pan Yingjie (2009) Effect of modified atmosphere package with varying oxygen concentrations combined with controlled freezing-point storage on pork fresh-keeping. Transactions of the CSAE 25(10):307-311(in Chinese with English abstract).