Minimum wage and the subsistence level in the Russian economy: theoretical and empirical analysis of the main trends
Автор: Perekarenkova Yuliya A., Kryshka Viktor I.
Журнал: Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast @volnc-esc-en
Рубрика: Labor economics
Статья в выпуске: 2 (62) т.12, 2019 года.
The paper studies the relationship between the minimum wage and the subsistence level in the Russian economy. In particular, we analyze the degree of elaboration of the issue and reveal its aspects that are studied most extensively, less extensively and those aspects that remain debatable. We use a methodology of normative-positive analysis and reveal a causal relationship, according to which the subsistence level should determine the consumer basket and the minimum wage, respectively. However, as we note in our paper, in the current economic practice the specified relationship has the opposite direction as well. We consider the main trends in the change of the subsistence level, the consumption basket and the minimum wage at the level of the Russian economy and conclude that their nominal and legally established equality does not promote real simple reproduction of labor force in certain regions. Moreover, the data obtained in the course of empirical analysis show that there is a differentiation in the level of wages between the regions of one type of activity. Scientific novelty of our study consists in the fact that it considers the complete cycle of circulation of the commodity form of the simple labor force, including the receipt of the advanced minimum wage, the minimum disposable income, and the subsistence level. The data on Russia obtained during the analysis show that the minimum wage remains behind the real subsistence level; such a situation impedes the creation of conditions for the simple reproduction of labor force. The results we have obtained can be used to develop regulations at the federal and regional levels, to develop target programs to support rural areas and to study the correlation between the subsistence level and the minimum wage differentiated by sector, region and level of professional training of employees.
Wages, labor remuneration, labor costs, measure of labor remuneration, minimum wage, subsistence level, policy on the minimum wage
Короткий адрес: https://sciup.org/147224164
IDR: 147224164 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2019.2.62.13
Список литературы Minimum wage and the subsistence level in the Russian economy: theoretical and empirical analysis of the main trends
- Sobolev E.N. Labor remuneration in the Russian economy: trends and problems. Vestnik Instituta ekonomiki Rossiiskoi akademii nauk=The Bulletin of the Institute of Economics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2018, no. 5, pp. 79-96. (In Russian).
- Neumark D., Wascher W. Minimum Wages. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, 2008. 378 p.
- Card D., Krueger A. Myth and Measurement: the New Economics of the Minimum Wage. New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1995. 423 p.
- Dube A., Lester W., Reich M. Minimum wage effects across state borders: estimates using contiguous counties. The Review of Economics and Statistics, 2010, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 945-964.
- Bauducco S., Janiak A. The macroeconomic consequences of raising the minimum wage: capital accumulation employment and the wage distribution. European Economic Review, 2018, vol. 101, pp. 57-76. 10.1016/j. euroecorew.2017.09.012. DOI: 10.1016/j.euroecorew.2017.09.012
- Cengiz D., Dube A., Lindner A., Zipperer B. The Effect of Minimum Wage on the Total Number of Jobs: Evidence from the United States Using a Bunching Estimator. Discussing Paper no. 1531. Centre for Economic Performance. 108 p.
- Brown A., Merkl Ch., Snower D. The minimum wage from a two-sided perspective. Economics Letters, 2014, vol. 124, pp. 389-391.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.econlet.2014.06.020
- Boeri T. Setting the minimum wage. Labour Economics, 2012, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 281-290.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.labeco.2012.01.001
- Lee D., Saez E. Optimal minimum wage policy in competitive labor markets. Journal of Public Economics, 2012, vol. 96, pp. 739-749.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.jpubeco.2012.06.001
- Sauer R. The macroeconomic of the minimum wage. Journal of Macroeconomics, 2018, vol. 56, pp. 89-112.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.macro.2018.01.003
- Katz L.F., Krueger A.B., The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast-food Industry. Working Paper no. 3997. National Bureau of Economic Research. 41 p.
- Aaronson D., Agarwal S., French E., The spending and debt response to minimum wage hikes. American Economic Review, 2012, vol. 102, no. 7, pp. 3111-3139.
- DOI: 10.1257/aer.102.7.3111
- Hara H. Minimum wage effects on firm-provided and worker-initiated training. Labour Economics, 2017, vol. 47, pp. 149-162.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.labeco.2017.05.011
- Author D., Dorn D. The growth of low-skill service jobs and the polarization of the us labor market. American Economic Review, 2013, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1553-1597.
- Lordan G., Neumark D. People versus machines: the impact of minimum wages on automatable job. Labour Economics, 2018, vol. 52, pp. 40-53.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.labeco.2018.03.006
- Author D., Dorn D., Hanson G. Untangling trade and technology: evidence from local labor market. The Economic Journal, 2015, vol. 125, pp. 621-646.
- DOI: 10.1111/ecoj.12245
- Kapelyushnikov R. The wage policy of Russian enterprises. Vestnik obshchestvennogo mneniya=Public Opinion Bulletin, 2004, no, 4 (72), pp. 48-69. (In Russian).
- Neklyuda M.Yu. Peculiarities of formation of effective policy of remunerations. Rossiiskoe predprinimatel'stvo=Russian Journal of Entrepreneurship, 2013, no. 13 (235), pp. 68-77. (In Russian).
- Dolinina T.N. Vnutrifirmennaya politika oplaty truda: ekonomicheskoe obosnovanie [The Internal Policy of Labor Remuneration: Economic Rationale]. Minsk: Izd-vo Grevtsova, 2008. 320 p.
- Mazin A.L. Minimum wage: foreign experience and domestic practice. Chelovek i trud=Human and Labor, 2004, no. 6, pp. 48-49. (In Russian).
- Kulagina N.M. Functioning of the institution of the minimum wage in Russia and abroad. Trud i sotsial'nye otnosheniya=Labour and Social Relations Journal, 2012, no. 12, pp. 3-18. (In Russian).
- Efimova E.A. Setting of minimal wages: foreign experience and Russian practice. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya=World Economy and International Relations, 2011, no. 2, pp. 24-35. (In Russian).
- Vishnevskaya N.T. Features of minimum wage in OECD countries. Trud za rubezhom=Foreign Labor, 2006, no. 1, pp. 38-55. (In Russian).
- Sobolev E.N. Oplata truda v sisteme sotsial'no-trudovykh otnoshenii: stereotipy i rossiiskie realii: doklad [Labor Remuneration in the System of Socio-labor Relations: Stereotypes and Russian Realia: report]. Moscow: Institut ekonomiki RAN, 2017. 46 p.
- Roik V. Minimum wage - a key tool to regulating incomes of Russian people. Chelovek i trud=Human and Labor, 2009, no. 6, pp. 22-28. (In Russian).
- Vishnevskaya N.T. The wage policy: goals, limitations, consequences. Ekonomicheskii zhurnal VShE=HSE Economic Journal, 2005, no. 4, pp. 479-504. (In Russian).
- Mazmanova B.G. About functions of wages and transformation of the basic grounds for their realization. Trud i sotsial'nye otnosheniya=Labour and Social Relations, 2009, no. 11, pp. 26-32. (In Russian).
- Vishnevskaya N.T. Regionalization of minimum wages. Voprosy gosudarstvennogo i munitsipal'nogo upravleniya=Public Administration Issues, 2016, no. 4, pp. 27-44. (In Russian).
- Kobzar' E.N. Minimal'naya zarabotnaya plata i regional'nye rynki truda v Rossii: preprint WP15/2009/06 [Minimum Wage and Regional Labor Markets in Russia]. Moscow: Izd. dom Gosudarstvennogo universiteta - Vysshei shkoly ekonomiki, 2009. 56 p.
- Ustinova K.A. Minimum wage as an institution of the labor market. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory's Development, 2010, no. 6 (52), pp. 94-98. (In Russian).
- Sobolev E.N, Soboleva I.V. Tendencies and factors of differentiation of the salary in the Russian economy. Vestnik Rossiiskogo ekonomicheskogo universiteta im. G.V. Plekhanova= Vestnik of the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics, 2014, no.5 (71), pp. 33-50. (In Russian).
- Rzhanitsyna L.S., Soboleva I.V. The methodology for determining living wage. Uroven' zhizni naseleniya regionov Rossii=Living Standards and Quality of Life, 2012, no.10-11, pp. 98-108. (In Russian).
- Hume D. Traktat o chelovecheskoi prirode [A Treatise of Human Nature]. Moscow: Popurri, 1998. 720 p.
- Hegel G.W.F. Entsiklopediya filosofskikh nauk. T. 1: Nauka logiki [Encyclopedia of Philosophical Sciences. Volume 1: The Science of Logic]. Moscow: Mysl', 1974. 452 p.
- Marx K., Engels F. Izbrannye sochineniya: v 9-ti t. T. 8 [Selected works: in 9 volumes. Volume 8]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1987. 589 p.
- Aganbegyan A.G. On the way to the civilized market. Vestnik Instituta ekonomiki Rossiiskoi akademii nauk=The Bulletin of the Institute of Economics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2018, no. 1, pp. 7-26. (In Russian).
- Luk'yanova A.L. Minimum wage and minimum wages in Russia. Zhurnal Novoi ekonomicheskoi assotsiatsii=Journal of the New Economic Association, 2018, no. 1 (37), pp. 176-186. (In Russian).